Social distancing oblige, we are all staying home as much as we can. If there is a thing that we can all agree on, it's that it can get challenging really quickly. We are not moving as much, we are constantly interacting with each other and if you have kids in the house, chances are it gets crazy at times. That is the reason why it is important for us as parents to do everything we can to keep a clear mind, release anxiety and practice habits to feel better and most importantly, healthier. Read on to know the five things we are doing to stay healthy while at home.
Try a new workout class
We know it’s hard to get started, but a good workout can make a big difference in how you feel throughout the day (especially when you work from home with kids). Experiment with different workouts to see what works best, set a routine and most importantly stick to it! Nowadays, tons of companies and content creators are going the extra mile to create fresh daily workouts to keep things interesting at home. Some of our favorites include:
- Blogilates - YouTube classes that are ideal for Pilates lovers
- Fitness Blender - the ultimate resource for at-home workouts videos with more than 500 practices.
- POPSUGAR Fitness - your free unlimited source of workouts by celebrity trainers.
- 30-Day Home Workout Challenge by Under Armour - Under Armour is bringing communities together to fight on together with UA MapMyRun and MyFitnessPal.
Get your om on with a Yoga Class
This time at home is the perfect time to try new sport activities from the comfort of your home. If you want something that will improve your flexibility and strength, as well as giving you a way to release stress, yoga is your best bet. Plus, the amazing thing about yoga is that there are tons of great resources to get started and train whenever you want throught the day. Choose your space, create a mood with objects that bring joy and set your intentions - Once you get started, you won't get enough of it.
- Yoga With Adriene - Adriene is one of the most followed yoga youtubers, she has great yoga programs for all levels that will help you progress your technique. Plus, we love her lighthearted personality.
- Lululemon - your favorite yoga pants brand will host free Instagram Live sesssions with yoga, workouts, meditations and more.
- Glo App - you'll get access to over 4,000 classes on demand and will be able to get personalized practices.
- Pocket Yoga App - the ideal pose resource for beginners (and non beginners too as it clearly explains how to do every pose and get it right
Shake the stress off with Meditation
If you have kids at home like we do, you know how hectic and loud it gets to be at times especially with everything going on at the moment. That is the reason why we love to take a few short breaks during quiet moments throughout the day (first thing in the morning, after lunch, before going to bed,..) to medidate. Don’t know where to start? Here’s our go to sources of content to help you relax, breathe and feel present in the current moment:
- Headspace App - The #1 meditation app with a great assortment of experiences and exercises. Calm - An amazing app with tons of guided meditations and other mindfulness content (who can say no to sleep stories told by Matthew McConaughey)
- Calm App - This app has a very wide range of guided meditations of all kinds of topics (stress relief, self esteem, etc..) that last from 3 to 25 minutes. Big Bonus, you can get sleep stories told by Matthew McConaughey.
- 10% Happier App - Perfect for anyone who promises on the fact that they don't know how to meditate and struggle to get relaxed.
Journal to keep a healthy mind
Another way to keep your mind clear and releasing all the negativity you might be feeling at a certain moment. Choose specific time everyday and spend a few minutes to journal about what you are feeling and acknowledge that is is okay for you to feel overwhelmed and stressed. Journaling is a great way to keep track of your moods, practising gratitude with daily prompts and more.
- Day One App - This app is the #1 app for journaling. It's super easy to use and allows you to add photos, videos, drawing or audio recordings to bring your entries to life.
- 365 Gratitude journal App - It prompts you to stay grateful with journal entries and great quotes.
- Reflectly - A Self - Care Journal App - An easy way to track your moods throughout the day and help you journal with questions.
- Morning! App -If you are familiar with the 5-minute-journal, you will love this app. It allows you to start and end the day with gratitude and affirmations.
Try Fun New Recipes at home.
And last but not least, staying at home also means that we can finally have the time to try all the recipies that we said we would try and not eat out as much. Plus, it's a fun way to do something together and keep the kids accountable with chores around the house. Here are our favorite source of recipes:
- Delish - Yummy cooking as easy as it can get. It has great tips for those who don't want to stay hours in the kitchen but still want great food.
- Tasty App - Super family friendly since we all love tasty videos, you'll have access to fun recipies to do together.
- Food Network App - All your favorite TV chefs in an app.
Sports Are Expensive.
We Can Help.