FlipGive Stories Team Spotlight

Meet the Wizards who play Quidditch

Jul 31 2018

A sport for everyone: Boy, girl, wizard, or muggle

Harry Potter fans know the magical sport ‘Quidditch,’ and movie-goers may know it from the boy wizard flying around on his broom. What you may not know is that the sport has made its way into the real world of us Muggles. In fact, there are over 450 teams who play globally, with 200 in the US alone. We were curious, and there are twenty-two Quidditch teams fundraising on FlipGive, so we reached out to a few - we wanted to know more about the sport that’s magically appearing on university campuses across the continent.

USA Quidditch

Starting at the top – Qudditch USA is the dominant force in the sport, they played in the world cup a month ago – with a score of 120 – 70 against Belgium! No, not the soccer world cup, the Quidditch world cup in Florence, Italy. It took a lot of fundraising to get to Italy, since their brooms aren’t really an option for a transatlantic flight.

…But what exactly are we looking at here? The Harry Potter movies had a high-flying sport, where the wizards played a competitive ball game, and the league has developed rules to mimic that game as closely as is practical. Players ride a ‘broom’ at all times, which is essentially a stick. Picture a combination of dodgeball, rugby, and tag, and you'll be on the right track. What's of particular interest is it's a co-ed contact sport - inclusivity is the name of the game!

Quidditch Team Canada

Of course, Canada has their own contingent of Potter Fans, meaning Italy also received a shipment of Canucks riding brooms... No word yet on whether they were made from maple trees, however. A 9th place finish on the world stage wasn’t something that went uncelebrated.

When I touched base with Jill Staniec of Quidditch Team Canada, we talked about the mixed-gender aspect of the sport, and how it is a long-term win for the sport.

"We need girls to play in order to play," said Jill. "But the contributions of these athletes show that we need girls and women on the field for more than just a quota."

There are youth programs and grants to help kids enjoy the sport, and as well too keep them active in general. The learning outcomes are as relevant and strong as any sports program.

"Girls in our youth programs contribute on the field as leaders, commanding their troops on offence and defence. Girls on our youth teams are also building soft skills in teamwork and communication, while also building their basic sports literacy. Girls are starting to discover that they enjoy physical activity and sports, and our favourite stories are the girls who tell us they love to go to Phys Ed class now when they hated it before."

"Women on our team were those girls. They were the girls who played sport, now all grown up. If those girls hadn't played, they couldn't play now. They couldn't showcase our team and our sport at the Quidditch World Cup in Florence, Italy. If girls don't play, then women can't play. So it is literally only if she plays that we can win. And that's winning forever, however our games at the event went."

Top Ashburn Earners
Travel 14u
Baseball
$7,163.75 Raised
T*A*P*S* - Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
OLD Charities & Non-Profits
$7,060.45 Raised
Jump Move Dance Competition Team
Dance
$6,936.79 Raised
Earn Cash For Your Team

Comments

• Albina N muro 6 days ago

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. where can i purchase blue diamond dog food

• James Evans 18 days ago

Your desire, excitement, and aspiration are heard, go www.1depositcasinocanada.com . Try your luck and share your emotions. Don't forget who risks wins.

• ahmed raza about 2 months ago

wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , Sim Đại Phát

• Anna Favorskaya 2 months ago

[url=https://www.uk-dissertation.com/]try this[/url]

[dissertation services](https://www.uk-dissertation.com/)
    write my essay for me

• ahmed raza 3 months ago

Here you will learn what is important, it gives you a link to an interesting web page: leading contractors in water supply projects in sri lanka

• ahmed raza 3 months ago

These things are very important, good think so - I think so too... 먹튀

• ahmed raza 3 months ago

You should mainly superior together with well-performing material, which means that see it: Diploma in patisserie and baking Singapore

• ahmed raza 3 months ago

Listed here you'll learn it is important, them offers the link in an helpful webpage: fluyezcambios

• Ahmed Malik 3 months ago

Harry Potter fans know chinese buffets near me
    the magical sport 'Quidditch,' and movie-goers may know it from the boy wizard flying around on his broom.

On my website you'll see similar texts, write what you think. 12bet

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

This is exciting, nevertheless it is vital for you to visit this specific url: فري لانسر

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

I understand this column. I realize You put a many of struggle to found this story. I admire your process. 밤알바

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

It is especially decent, though look into the tips during this home address. w88

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

I've proper selected to build a blog, which I hold been deficient to do for a during. Acknowledges for this inform, it's really serviceable! meta tag generator

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

Here you will learn what is important, it gives you a link to an interesting web page: Tyre fitting services near me

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

These websites are really needed, you can learn a lot. defense pendant

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work. Schrank entsorgen berlin

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

These things are very important, good think so - I think so too... royalgreen showroom

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

Can nicely write on similar topics! Welcome to here you'll find out how it should look. coupon codes

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

I prefer merely excellent resources - you will see these people in: buy cocodamol online

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

I also wrote an article on a similar subject will find it at write what you think. havalı yatak

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

For this web site, you will see our account, remember to go through this info. hasta yatağı

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. hasta yatağı

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

Within this webpage, you'll see the page, you need to understand this data. 유흥알바

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

It's superior, however , check out material at the street address. Kasten Yaralama

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

I encourage you to read this text it is fun described ... nick yazma

It's superior, however , check out material at the street address. Puffing Bird

• hamza maqsood 4 months ago

The majority of the techniques are firm and elevated for the changes. Potent use of the Jquery tutorial is assumed for the mentioned data. The ifnormation is served for the chuk for the vital and instrumental value for the facts.

• ahmed raza 4 months ago

On my website you'll see similar texts, write what you think. lsd sheets for sale

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. Supima cotton tees

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. Blonde highlights

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , Maine electrician

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

Beaver says I also have such interest, you can read my profile here: Best Italian food

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

Acknowledges for penmanship such a worthy column, I stumbled beside your blog besides predict a handful advise. I want your tone of manuscript... Lentor Modern Balance Units

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

It is especially decent, though look into the tips during this home address. Pollen Collection Balance Units

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

I've proper selected to build a blog, which I hold been deficient to do for a during. Acknowledges for this inform, it's really serviceable! https://techwear-x.com/collections/techwear-vest

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

Such sites are important because they provide a large dose of useful information ... http://www.unitedluxury.net/fake-rolex/

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

This is very interesting, but it is necessary to click on this link: تصليح طباخات

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. فني كهربائي منازل

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

I would recommend my profile is important to me, I invite you to discuss this topic. صيانة تكييف

• ahmed raza 5 months ago

Make the most of mainly premium substances - you will find him or her for: مكافحة حشرات وقوارض

• hasenasruom 6 months ago

Players ride a ‘broom’ at all times, which is essentially a stick. Power Window Repair

• ahmed raza 6 months ago

Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. virtual phone number

• ahmed raza 6 months ago

I read this article. I think You put a great deal of exertion to make this article. I like your work. DeLand Brush Clearing

• ahmed raza 6 months ago

I understand this column. I realize You put a many of struggle to found this story. I admire your process. Orlando Exterminator

• ahmed raza 6 months ago

Here you will learn what is important, it gives you a link to an interesting web page: Tampa Exterminator

• Michael Scott 8 months ago

Physical education is just as important as acquiring knowledge. Therefore, need to love for sports and education in any age. And although I've always been conscientious about this, sometimes the educational process can be a real challenge. In such cases, I use this source https://www.bestdissertation.com/philosophy-dissertation.html And it helps me solve my writing problems.

• Johnson Smith about 1 year ago

Pour tous les fans d'Harry Potter, c'est une expérience que vous devez apprécier ! Explorez une collection fascinante de modèles Pixel Art Harry Potter pour garçons et filles.

Vous avez le choix entre le Choixpeau, la Chouette Hedwige, Nimbus 2000, l'Elfe Dobby, la Baguette magique, humble Dumbledore, et les trois Inséparables Harry, Ron et Hermione.

• Alfreda P. Williamson over 1 year ago

Wow! I've never thought there is a Quidditch team exist in real life :) I am a big fan of Harry Potter, and I am also a student! I would like to play this game with my student mates as well! I still love to re-watch the episodes of Harry Potter and it was the first book that inspired me to try to write by myself. Now I try to write my own stories and work as a freelance writer at https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/ where help other students. Thanks for a great post!