FlipGive Stories Team Spotlight

Stories from Flipgive: A letter from a 13-year-old that broke our heart

Jun 21 2018

When Adam got a letter from Thomas, he wasn't expecting this.

I thought it was going to be a typical day at FlipGive, What I wasn’t expecting was Thomas’ letter.

“My name is Thomas and I’m 13 years old,” it read. “I am writing you because I was wondering how I can get funds for hockey.”

Now - apart from the author being a bit young, there wasn’t much out of the ordinary. But what came next made me take a step back.

“My dad just finished going to university and he doesn’t have a job yet,” Thomas wrote. “If I can find a way to help with my team fees then I know that would make it better for him.”

Thomas’ letter didn’t stop there when tugging at the heartstrings:

“Can you tell me please how do I apply to see if I can get help so I can still play hockey this year.”

Having been both a teacher at one time, and a member of a fundraising consultancy at another, this hit me from two sides - and I knew that there was a lot more to be done than simply explaining the FlipGive program to Thomas.

While I could help him set up a fundraiser for the long term, I wanted to make sure he could get some short-term help as well. So I made sure Thomas had the contact for JumpStart and KidSport Canada – both great charities that would be able to help in this sort of a situation.

As a B Corporation, FlipGive believes in the power of business to solve social problems, be it making sure kids have the chance to play sports, or helping a school get the funding they need.

This is why I work here, instead of somewhere else – I want to help. Luckily I knew some places he could go.

With some stopgap funding in place for Thomas, I made sure the rest of the office saw the letter.

It’s great to be able to help in this way, so I wanted to make sure the whole team saw our impact. Because when it comes down to it: it’s why we’re all here. We want to make a difference.

Top Ashburn Earners
Travel 14u
Baseball
$7,163.75 Raised
T*A*P*S* - Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
OLD Charities & Non-Profits
$7,060.45 Raised
Stafford Stealth Travel Softball 14U
Softball
$6,910.54 Raised
Earn Cash For Your Team

Comments

• Super Technologies about 10 hours ago

The key weight which an electronic student could go testing is that he entirely to unflinchingly keep himself reestablished. Visit checker for additional encounters concerning framing. Restricting the nonattendance of congruity and inspiration, one could wreck in getting sorting out degree.

• SEO Backlinks 1 day ago

Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. capsa susun

• ayoub khatri 8 days ago

Sell ​​your car online for free without hassle, within 1 day! In addition, the car is often collected the next day. Selling with us is 100% free and without obligation! Auto Bod Belgium

• ayoub khatri 9 days ago

Thank you for sharing best opinion following us. i at the back of your say and all you share in the back of us is uptodate and quite informative, i'd in imitation of to bookmark the page suitably i can come right here once more to retrieve you, as you have got finished a terrifi process. numero voyance gratuite

• ayoub khatri 9 days ago

I realize this is one of the most meaningful counsel for me. And i am vivacious studying your article. however have to commentary upon some standard matters, the internet site style is unmodified; the articles are invincible. thank you for the ton of actual and viable explicit. win88

• ayoub khatri 13 days ago

If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. win88

• ayoub khatri 2 months ago

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my site. We could have a hyperlink change contract between us! Digital Global Times

• Adam Haynes 3 months ago

• hamza maqsood 4 months ago

Companies should understand https://gas-stationsnearme.com/ the fact that they have to look at customers when they introduce something new such as this online signature on docs.

• hamza maqsood 4 months ago

Enjoyed story ​restaurants near me
    of a letter from a 13-year-old which is really heath whelming.

• hamza maqsood 4 months ago

While I could help him set up a ​restaurants near me

• hamza maqsood 4 months ago

These medicines proposed dr clement ayanbadejo

• ayoub khatri 4 months ago

I read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future. Digital Global Times

• Clara Lane 4 months ago

Enjoyed story of a letter from a 13-year-old which is really heath whelming.
    Lauren,
    Searched many CV template UK online and still struggling to write a professional CV, CV Folks can help you at their best.

• natasham ahony25 5 months ago

These medicines proposed ought to be clarified in laymen's terms and followed by any elective choices. An equipped, mindful, dental specialist will furnish you Implants Perth with a clarification regarding the reason why a specific treatment has been suggested.

• ayoub khatri 5 months ago

Companies should understand the fact that they have to look at customers when they introduce something new such as this online signature on docs. But there are companies https://www.signnow.com/features/write-on-pdf-document who form some page where they can interact with customers and provide them useful tips about online signature and its benefits. this allows customer to stay with the company.

• ayoub khatri 5 months ago

Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best. Normanton Park

• ayoub khatri 5 months ago

Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs. perfect ten singpapore

• Caroline Webb 12 months ago

What an amazing stories from Flipgive. Best post on a letter from a 13-year-old that broke our heart. Enjoying reading this post.
    Regards,

• Sarah Connor 12 months ago

Lovely post. In my free time, I like to find and read such kind of outstanding post. Thus, I am keep reading here. Also waiting for your next post. Keep blogging.
    Regards,
    Resume Folks - https://www.resumefolks.com/

• Michael Scott about 1 year ago

What a wonderful letter. Sincerity and openness are now much appreciated, so it made a special impression. It's great that at such an early age he can write so well. Even in college, I never could boast of this and in matters related to writing, I could only trust thesis writing help service. Thanks to this, I could count on high marks, although I cannot write well.