FlipGive Stories Sports Parenting

The Rising Cost Of Hockey Driving Some Families Away

Aug 12 2016

Hockey is more than just a sport; it’s a lifestyle that brings families and kids together. When the sun starts going down early and the winters get colder, ice rinks start buzzing with excitement, the time to play has come.

But, while kids and adults alike wait for the season to begin, parents are increasingly approaching the winter season with the same concern; How are we going to afford hockey this year?

Rising cost of hockey for parents:

Over the last 20 years, hockey has seen a spike in expenses. From the equipment required to play, and increasingly elite teams, it’s easy to see how parents are struggling more and more to get their kids into hockey.  Looking at the past decade, the costs of just purchasing ice time from arenas has more than tripled, and the cost of playing house hockey has tripled right along with it.

According to Joseph Kolodziej of ZealHockey:

“Back in 1994 I had all of my equipment stolen out of my car. Top of the line pro model equipment and a half-dozen sticks. When I went to replace all of my gear and sticks I spent less than $600 total. Today you might be able to buy some middle of the road skates for $600 if you find them on sale. If you had to do a full equipment replacement with sticks you will likely spend upwards of $3000. That’s a 500% increase.”

On top of that, the cost of travel hockey has more than doubled, with some AAA teams charging from $12,000 - $25,000 dollars for one season. You read right, twenty five THOUSAND dollars.

So how do parents make it work?

Experts acknowledge rising prices have long-term effects on the ice, specifically in goal, where specialized equipment can bloat a parent’s hockey budget.

“We may be losing good athletes and good players from that position if the perception is that you’re only going to be successful” if you spend a lot of money, says Paul Carson, Hockey Canada’s director of development. “The ripple effect is kids don’t register for the position … What is the competitive field like by the time you get to the World Juniors or the women’s under-18 program?”

The solution to the problem isn't easy. Like it or not, the cost of hockey as a whole is rising, but it can be done without breaking the bank. But as Carson states, just because a player has participated in an elite training camp, does not necessarily mean they will be more successful than a child who has decided to forgo this training. If families don't fall into the trap of extremely high-priced gear and bloated promises from elite academies, there are tons of options to help families raise funds and hockey expenses can be managed even for lower income households. FlipGive provides players and teams with brand partnerships. Your team could save thousands of dollars this season, and it could mean getting some of the lower-income players on the ice. Bonus? When you use FlipGive for more traditional fundraising like BBQs and team dinners, you get an extra kickback from brands like Nike and Hockey Shot. Check out what an average team could raise below:

Know a team or player who could use some help this season? Click here to apply for the Get In The Game Hockey Grant

Comments

• Asad Ali Khatri 13 days ago

Unprecedented blog. I enjoyed investigating your articles. This is to a great degree an awesome investigated for me. I have bookmarked it and I am suspecting examining new articles. Keep doing astonishing! 먹튀검증업체

• Asad Ali Khatri 15 days ago

Two full thumbs up for this magneficent article of yours. I've really refreshing examining this article today and I figure this might be a champion among other article that I've scrutinized yet. If its all the same to you keep this work proceeding in a comparative quality. 토토

• Asad Ali Khatri 15 days ago

Welcome to Chris and Bella’s Cattery, we dedicate our lives to the breeding of munchkin cat for sale and Scottish fold munchkin cat for sale for any family who is caring and loving who needs to add our adorable fur babies to their lives. Our kittens and cats are well behave and well trained to fit into any family with kids, birds, dogs and other pets. Getting a munchkin cat, kitten or Scottish fold munchkin from our cattery will mean getting a loving, caring and passionate friend or partner for the rest of your lives. munchkin cat for sale

• Adil Ak 16 days ago

Korea's free sports broadcasting (overseas soccer, basketball, baseball) TV viewing site. mlb중계

• Asad Ali Khatri 17 days ago

Mycatttery is the best place of munchkin cat for sale. We are a home kennel dedicated to providing you with high quality Munchkin kittens. munchkin kittens for sale

• Asad Ali Khatri 19 days ago

Online slot site recommendation community in Korea 온라인슬롯

• Asad Ali Khatri 22 days ago

For what reason do just such a great amount of composed regarding this matter? Here you see more. how to sell credit card processing

• Adil Ak 23 days ago

For what reason do just such a great amount of composed regarding this matter? Here you see more. 온라인바카라

• Adil Ak 24 days ago

For what reason do just such a great amount of composed regarding this matter? Here you see more. 플레이포커

• Adil Ak about 2 months ago

Locate the best articles on is my companion's profile page. สล็อตแตกบ่อย

• Asad Ali Khatri 2 months ago

All things considered I read it yesterday yet I had a few musings about it and today I needed to peruse it again in light of the fact that it is extremely elegantly composed. ไฮโลออนไลน์ เดิมพันขั้นต่ำ 10 บาท

• John Donne 4 months ago

Despite the popularity of hockey in Canada, it is becoming harder and harder for families to afford the expensive equipment and the cost of living in a major city like Toronto. With a new arena opening in 2020, the cost of hockey will only continue to rise. This is an issue that needs to be addressed by the NHL and its fans. Well, I was recommended by my friends to visit skycity casino online in order to read real reviews about it before playing it. Now I am fully satisfied with it by reading other people's reviews will play some games there.

• wolf norman 6 months ago

The costs seem too high. But if the kids like them, there's nothing more parents can do. The above way to save money on this sport is very effective. Elastic man

• ayoub khatri 8 months ago

I just came across this website called Why Students Use Writing Services to Buy Essays?. And I must say that they really know how to make their user feel satisfied. Super happy with this one!